8.12.2009

I just wanna be SUCCESSFUL!

I've been on this journey called college for 5 years now.  In all honesty I should be done by now. First of all I didn't take it as seriously as I should've in the beginning and now that I want to I have come accustom to procrastination.  No matter how many times I say, "I'm going to buckle down and get it done",  I find some way to be distracted.  I hate still being in school...but I have no one to blame but myself!  

I've had to work and go to school since I've been old enough to work.  Got my first job as a junior in high school and  have been juggling a full-time job and school ever since.  So at this point in my life, I'm truly tired of doing both!! If I could give up one, sadly it would be school.  But I want to be successful, baby!  That means no matter how long it takes, or how fed up I get, giving up is not an option.  I have a family to provide for now.  I want kids someday and I want to be able to give them the world and the best way for me to do that is to keep on pushing.  I would be the first male in my family to graduate college, and after all that I've been through I don't want my kids to have to go through the same thing.  The best advice I ever heard about school came from an assistant basketball coach at Baylor.  Coach Driscoll came to my job one day and asked me if I ever thought about trying out for basketball.  I told him, "I have but that's not realistic right now. I have to work and at this rate it'll take me 8 years to graduate."  He looked at me and said, " College is not a race, it's a destination.  No matter how long it takes you to finish, just finish."

I think I'm finally ready to finish.