Before I headed to work I stopped by the barbershop to get cleaned up for the weekend. While I was waiting for Mike [my barber] to show up I met this dude JC. He asked me if I could spare a few dollars because he was hungry. He proceeds to tell me that he had just gotten out of prison and that he's been putting applications in all over Austin but no one will give him an opportunity. I told him I didn't have any cash on me [honest truth I only had enough for my haircut] but that I could help him get a job. I told him that I work for Goodwill and let him know that we specialize in helping people with barriers to employment [i.e. criminal background] find jobs. I told him we should be able to help him.
MAAAAAAAAAN, the expression and excitement on his face after I told him that was unlike anything I had ever seen before! "Yea! That way I can support myself and not have to ask people for money! Man, I really appreciate you!" I said no problem glad I could help and we went our seperate ways.
Afterward I was overcome with the joy of knowing I have a job that has meaning and can truly change peoples lives.